So before I came to Europe, I had decided to do very little to no clothing shopping (failed on that front thanks to APC), but had a monster list of beauty products that I wanted to investigate. The whole backpacking thing has really been cramping my style as I’ve been reluctant to add weight when I’m constantly traveling by train and walking long distances. There are already huge lists across the interwebs of cult French beauty buys, but here’s my take.
I did make a stop into the famed CityPharma as well as a couple of other pharmacies that I just ran into on my way around the city. CityPharma has the lowest prices for most things, unless they are on sale. I’m not sure that it’s worth it as it is a complete mob scene inside the pharmacy (I’d advise people to have a list and just show it to the staff and have them show you around the store).
1. La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL (~13E on sale, ~18E regular price for 50ML at most pharmacies). I bought 4 tubes of the fluid and 2 of the gel-creme. I was introduced to this sunscreen by my dermatologist and was giddy to get my hands on it here. It is magical – super liquid-y and light and feels like you’re wearing nothing after it absorbs. It is also about half the price it is in the U.S.
2. BiafineACT (4E at CityPharma) This is an all-purpose ointment, especially used for sunburns, mild burns and skin irritation. Comes in a huge tube.
3. Caudalie Vinexpert Serums (CityPharma was having a B1G1 of all the serums and I went nuts. The eye serum as ~30E for 15ML). Caudalie’s stuff is so hyped in Paris – everyone has a big bottle of the Eau de Beaute and so many of the Vinexpert serums or lotions. I bought a few bottles of the eye serum as gifts and to test it out. Smells lovely at least.
4. Nuxe Reve de Miel (~7E at CityPharma, ~9E at other pharmacies). This is a super luxurious and delicious lip balm. Bought a few as gifts too (small enough to carry!).
5. Thomas LeClerc Pressed Powder (~30E at CityPharma) in Banane – supposedly great for combating redness. Needed to replace my pressed powder and got this to try out.
Cult Faves I didn’t get:
1. Nuxe Dry Oil: This is an all-purpose oil for hair and skin – but I don’t really use it and was wary of carrying lots of liquids and low on space so I passed. On sale for 17E at Citypharma.
2. Bioderma Micella Cleanser: They were selling big double packs of 500ML containers of this make-up remover at CityPharma for 18E. I saw a woman with a basket of at least 8 of these double packs. Would totally get some if I had the space.
3. Avene eau de thermale: this is indeed a light and refreshing facial mist. Not sure what it’s actually supposed to do other than wake you up…
4. Caudalie Eau de Beaute (Beauty Elixir): another facial mist! another liquid I can’t buy!
5. Embryolisse Lait Creme: A concentrated multi-purpose ‘cold cream’ type moisturizer. It’s 10E for a tube (forgot the size). I didn’t get it because even though it’s supposed to be wonderful, it smells like old-lady cream.